Game: Sagrada (2017)
Publisher: Floodgate Games
Game Designers: Daryl Andrews & Adrian Adamescu
Game Development: Ben Harkins
Graphic Design & Illustration: Peter Wocken Design LLC
Board Game Type: Puzzle Game
Duration: 30-45 minutes
Age recommended on box: 13+
Age we’ve observed: 8+
Time to learn: 5-10 minutes
Sagrada Board Game Review
If you’ve ever wanted to create beautiful stained glass without all the actual hard work, this is your game! You and other artists compete to see who can create the most elegant window in the Sagrada Familia, all by rolling the colorful dice. No trips to Spain necessary.
In Sagrada, a turn consists of rolling a set number of dice from the Dice Bag, then taking turns choosing from the rolled dice to fill up your window. Each window consists of a combination of restricted and unrestricted spaces. In the restricted spaces only certain colors or shades of color (represented by the numbers on the dice) are allowed. Dice of the same color or number can’t be placed directly next to each other, even if it is an unrestricted space.
You earn points by fulfilling a private objective (dice of a certain color give you points) and public objectives (different combinations of dice give you points). Simple. In the same way that Sodoku is simple. Until you get to the endgame, and dangit! The green 5 shouldn’t have been played in that spot because now you can’t place the blue 5 that just got rolled, and you really needed that blue because not only is blue your private objective, but it also would have given you a column of different colors and that would have fulfilled one of your public objectives so you have just lost 10 potential points! Wah! Oh, but wait. You can use your shiny favor tokens to buy the tool necessary to break the rules and fix the problem. Your magnificent masterpiece will be completed for the world to enjoy after all.
If you want to see how to play, check out the official Sagrada site.
Roll the dice on this game! If you can find it. It seems that everyone agrees that this a staple for your board game collection. Online stores across the web are struggling to keep up stock and resale prices can be inflated. Fingers crossed that your FLGS has a glorious copy waiting. Win or lose, this beautiful game is addictively fun.
- Vivid art design! Sturdy, richly colored boards, 90 translucent dice in 5 bright colors, 24 jewel-like favor tokens.
- Great for the puzzle-minded gamers. If you like Sodoku, you will love this game!
- Excellent gateway game. Easy to learn. Not easy to win. Win or lose, this game is fun to play!
- Solo game option! Unlike other games, the score to beat changes from game to game, making it feel like there is an opponent to beat.
- Do you like playing with photo filters? Take a picture of this game, then run it through your Prisma app. You won’t be disappointed.
- May be too abstract for gamers looking for a story.
- Difficult to win the solo game.
Gateway Game Score (What's This?) – 9/10
Overall Rating – 9/10
Review by May Begamer. When she's not running, she's gaming.
Did Sagrada fulfill your lifetime dream of creating the ultimate stained glass window, or did you hang a curtain over this game? Let us know in the comments below.